GE Appliances recently integrated the Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarm. This is in order to guarantee the reduction of kitchen mishaps by detecting fires in an oven, as well as quickly alerting the homeowners.
According to Paul Surowiec, vice president, cooking products, at GE Appliances, a Haier company, it is widely known that there can be accidents in the kitchen. That’s why their integration with Nest Protect allows them to assure their consumers that their connected ovens are safer now when cooking. More so when they decide to leave the ovens unattended.
Nest Protect will alert owners on their phone in real-time once it detects smoke or CO. Basically, it warns homeowners early if there is an any issue in the kitchen.
In essence, the Nest Protect will detect smoke while the connected oven is on. Once this happens, GE Appliances will then send a command to turn the oven off. In addition, Kitchen app will receive a push notification. This will let them know that the oven is already off. In the event that the oven is one yet you are away, Nest will automatically send a command while GE Appliances will send a push notification to your phone.
Moreover, Nest Protect further offers many additional features. These include the split-spectrum sensor. This uses two wavelengths of light in order to look for fast-burning fires and slow-burning ones. There’s also the App Silence that allows you to silence an alarm once everything is under control. Furthermore, GE Appliances offers a product lifetime of up to 10 years of worry-free utilisation. You can even enjoy a safety checkup. In this way, you can test the power and WiFi connection. You can also test the sensors, and all the horn and speakers on the alarms. Not to mention that you can do so right from your phone.
“The safety of loved ones is important to our appliance owners and to us,” said Liz VerSchure, vice president responsible for GE Appliances connected strategy. “Working with Nest Protect helps us ensure an enjoyable cooking experience that’s also safe.”